Once Upon A Time...
Established in 2004, Beyond Skin is an organisation which uses Music, Arts & Media to assist in the building & development of cultural relations in Northern Ireland, with the overall aim of addressing issues of racism & sectarianism.
- To address racism & sectarianism in Northern Ireland through multicultural arts.
- To promote positive attributes reflected from a society made up of different cultures.
- To promote multicultural arts for the benefit of the inhabitants of Northern Ireland.
- To promote racial harmony and the exchange of cultural ideas and relations through the medium of the arts.
- To contribute to maintaining a peaceful society in Northern Ireland.
- To increase social awareness of different cultures within Northern Ireland
- To increase links between communities from different cultural backgrounds.
- To present, promote, organise, manage and produce performances and exhibitions of works of cultural and educational value.
Beyond Skin is an organisation based in Northern Ireland, which was established in January 2004 to use Music & Arts as a tool for cultural education & exchange in an aim to address issues of racism & sectarianism.Since 2004 the organisation has provided a professional service of diversity & global education through artistic methods for local councils, education boards, schools, community groups, businesses and social enterprises. During this time Beyond Skin has gathered a well respected track record within the Northern Ireland community and internationally; nurturing the skills of local and international people whilst externally impacting greatly on community development and the arts sector.
Beyond Skin has trained, provided paid employment, and assisted business development for over 200 people representing over 50 nationalities. We develop and deliver projects, programmes, events & festivals that have been designed by the organisation, in partnership with artists or organisations locally and internationally whose objectives are complementary. Beyond Skin also develops and delivers bespoke projects for clients.
The Work of Beyond SkinThrough a professional diverse team of artists, technicians, journalists, global educators and volunteers we offer the biggest range of intercultural arts projects in Northern Ireland also providing creative opportunities to link with our partners worldwide.
We see ourselves more of global family than an organisation, a dynamic team of individuals passionate about encouraging positive social change, empowering people to celebrate diversity through art, music and dance.
- WOMAD (World Of Music Arts & Dance) in Northern Ireland www.womadni.com
- Interactive Music Experience Programme - www.beyondskin.net/ime.php
- Parallel Versing (N.Ireland - Sri lanka project) - www.parallelversing.com
- Homely Planet Radio - www.homelyplanet.org
Beyond Skins Vision
To be the first choice arts organisation delivering diversity and global education through art, music and dance
Celebrating diversity through music, arts, dance & new media
EthicsWe recognise that an organisation's success depends on the integrity of its employees, therefore we will aim to continue to support the needs of employees through training, on-site experience and mentoring for other individuals within the organisation.
Due to the diverse team within the organisation we will ensure to maximise opportunities for sharing knowledge about cultural sensitivities, traditions and beliefs.
IntegrityAs an organisation we will endeavour to stick clearly to our vision, mission and aims as a undivided unit.
We will maintain our honesty, fairness & sincerity representing as one body, a distinctive good character that is synonymous with the organisation. Having a reputation for always delivering and can be relied upon to complete project and achieve the best possible outcomes.
Respect & EmpathyListening and adapting to the needs participants, artists, volunteers & staff. Having a good understanding of cultural traditions & beliefs. Ensuring at all times the welfare of facilitating artists, volunteers and staff is put first.
To be approachable and have the correct systems in place to gather and follow up any issues people may have directly linked to the organisation. Facilitating and evaluating in a non-judgemental manner understanding the root of negative attitudes people may have. Understanding external environments and their influence on social attitudes.
GenerousityWe always aim so see the best in people. We are committed to enabling people to reach their full potential to create a peaceful and equal society. Showing and doing are the true definition of education, by bringing out the best in people using the arts.
We recognize that young people regardless of their education, position in society, or socio-economic status, have inborn creative capacity for unbounded achievement. We will continue to strive to assist people develop self-confidence, aspiration and creative skills through a process of diversity & cultural education.
InnovationWe have never been comfortable sitting still and continue to develop ideas beyond what has gone before. We are not afraid to go 'against the grain' and our creative resource through people enables us to adapt, shift the paradigm and develop new artistic & educational models.
We utilise new technology and social media but always ensure a balance as we recognise that people need to physically share a space with others to experience a higher impact of learning and cultural exchange.
Beyond Skins strategic objective for the period 2014-17 are as follows
Financial1. To become an organisation that is self-sustaining financially by 2017.
2. To increase organisational agility to respond to new opportunities.
3. To develop new corporate sponsorship relationships with the Business Sector.
4. To build a cash reserve that enables the organisation to build organisation capacity to deliver more projects.
5. To develop a clear business model for the organisation.
Customers1. To continue to develop our portfolio of services that address current and future customers' needs.
2. Build organisational capacity to deliver innovative bespoke services to customers.
3. To seek out opportunities to work collaboratively with other public, private and community organisations.
4. To develop and implement a new marketing strategy making full use of new technologies and social media.
Internal Processes1. To assess the current and future recruitment needs of the organisation are and to work to secure the necessary resources to meet those needs.
2. To understand the Information Technology requirements of the organisation and to meet those needs throughout the lifetime of this plan.
3. To maintain and enhance the membership of the Beyond Skin Board.
Learning & Growth1. To develop the skills of each member staff through a staff development plan linked to competencies related to individual roles.
2. The management Board will identify Board training needs and ensure that these needs are met throughout the lifetime of this plan.
3. A programme of artist development will be designed and implemented over the lifetime of this strategic plan.
Organisational StructureBeyond Skin is a Northern Ireland charity (XT328) recognised by HMRC with an office located in Belfast City at the Belfast Carnival Centre, 11-47 Boyd Street, BT13 2GU.
Beyond Skin have a managing committee of 6 trustees, an operations manager, a programme manager, and an administrative assistant. The management is support by a team of freelance skilled personnel and volunteers who deliver the activities. The management board meet formally once every month.